Monday, March 24, 2008

Who is that?

Ok, I am very guilty of this so I have to admit it. I don't know my neighbors. Now that is not exactly true. I know "Biff"(named changed to protect the ignorant) to the right and I know Patsy to the left. I don't spend time with my neighbors. Do you know who lives next to you? Do you care? Why should I? I don't even know you. Wait, that might be it. I don't know them. So what happens to them, their property, etc. means nothing to me.

When I moved into the neighborhood it was still small and mostly under construction. There were only about five of us that lived on the street. At that time I knew my neighbors. Well, I knew enough about them that I was willing to talk in the yard about weed control, all those bugs(who knew they would take issue with houses being built on the open land where they lived), and the fact that there would more people soon.

But as fast as the bugs moved on, the deer quit running through the woods up the hill from me, and my house started to sink the neighbors that I knew moved away. And the only one left is Biff.

Some of you might remember the old days when a moving truck drove up you went out and met the neighbors and made a new friend. Community was a feeling as well as a geographic location.

Is that important? I think it may be. This might be an ever better place to live if I knew people. If nothing more than to say hello and talk about the weeds in the yard.

Someone might even want to hear about the deer that used to run by up the hill.

No comments: