Monday, June 2, 2008

What is it?

I have spent a couple of days getting some photographs ready for an art show at a gallery in Memphis. It would seem like an easy task with all the pictures that I have. But when the task was at hand I had to decide the answer to an important question. What is art? That just opened the door.
Next I had to decide another big issue which is if the picture is pretty does that make it more than a snapshot. It didn't. It doesn't. It just wasn't. I then had to look deeper. Since paper is "paper thin" I had to find another location to discover this answer.
I was left with many outlets but no anwers. I have talked with friends, family, the camera. And no anwers still. I discovered when talking to my family that everything I do is wonderful. Well, who would have guessed that one. Some friends told me that art was art because it was different and it matched the room it was placed into. The camera, of course, was notoriously silent. He never gives me the answers he just sits there and listens while I throw out all the wild ideas.
I was left with no other choice. I had to look into my own thoughts and at all my photographs and decide what is a snapshot and what is "art". What did I find? I found still more confusion. But then some things became clearer. I take pictures. I create a snapshot, to keep forever, of what I see. It becomes art when someone else can see what I see. Not just a snapshot of the world but the story behind it. It is the subtext of life.
Why is that so important to me? I think it is because if someone else can get the meaning then I have made a connection with another person in this world beyond the just a glance of life.

No comments: